Travel Tips For This Summer
in Community News
You may be traveling for family vacations or other getaways, usually armed with your Northwest Bank debit card to cover expenses from plane tickets to toothpaste. Here are some great tips on how to protect your money when traveling.
- If you are headed out of town, give us a quick call to let us know. One of the ways we protect you is to block suspicious transactions, including unexpected out-of-town purchases. Your call will save you the inconvenience of having your card declined.
- Clean out your wallet. Carrying a lot of credit and debit cards on vacation only increases the likelihood that one of them will become lost or stolen. Take only what you need, and make sure your limits are high enough to cover all expenses. Extra tip: Find out your daily withdrawal limit before you leave and ask to have it increased while on your trip.
- Always be mindful of your personal security when accessing an ATM. Put your money and your card away immediately after making a withdrawal. Count your money later, out of public view. Extra tip: If you can’t find an ATM and need cash, ask for cash back when you use your debit card for purchases at retail locations.
- Put your receipts in your pocket — not the bag. It’s common to end up with a lot of receipts when traveling. Even though receipts don’t typically display full account numbers, a thief can still do a lot with the information. Crooks can also use receipts to make fraudulent returns linked to you.
- Monitor your account frequently. Checking your account balance is a great way to combat fraud. With the new SHAZAM BOLT$ mobile app, you can receive alerts to potential fraud on your smartphone or tablet and check your debit account balances as often as you’d like.
- Report a lost or stolen card immediately. Report lost or stolen cards immediately to: SHAZAM at 1-866-508-2693. Be sure to contact us, at for our emergency travel phone numbers before your trip and keep them in a safe place.