Debit Card Fraud Protection
New Enhancement for Debit Cards!
Keeping your account safe and secure is our highest priority. We partner with SHAZAM, our debit card processor, to implement a fraud management solution powered by FICO® Falcon® to help protect your debit card against fraudulent activity with new, automatic text alerts and automated phone calls. We want you to use your debit card with confidence, this is a FREE* protection service available to you.
TEXT ALERTS | AUTOMATED PHONE CALLS
We provide Text Fraud Alerts as part of our debit card protection program. You'll receive text alerts 24/7 when suspicious activity is detected on your Northwest Bank debit card. This new enhancement allows for faster communication in detecting potential fraudulent activity.
If you receive a "fraud alert," reply YES or NO to confirm or deny the activity.
- If you reply No (the activity is fraudulent), you'll quickly receive a follow up text to let you know that a SHAZAM fraud specialist will call you soon to help protect your account. We'll also automatically block your debit card to prevent any additional fraudulent activity.
- If you reply Yes (the activity was legitimate), you can continue to use your debit card as normal.
- If you don't reply to that text, or your phone number is not a mobile number, SHAZAM will attempt to reach you via automated voice call. Automated calls will occur during the hours of 8:00 am - 9:00 pm.
TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS FROM: 72718
AUTOMATED PHONE CALLS FROM: 855-219-5399
Make sure to save these numbers to your contacts so you don't miss any alerts. This added protection to your debit card is automatic and text message alerts are free. Please make sure Northwest Bank always has your current contact information so we can ensure you are properly reached if fraudulent activity is suspected.
As always, use caution when providing your debit card information and contact us immediately if you suspect your debit card has been stolen or compromised.
Contact a Northwest Bank representative. Monday - Friday from 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. at 1-800-678-4105.
During after hours, you can contact SHAZAM at 1-866-508-2693.
Always let Northwest Bank know when you plan to travel out of state and out of the country. This can help avoid potential blocks on your debit card allowing you to use it more freely.
In case your debit card is blocked from fraudulent transactions, we recommend always carrying multiple forms of payment with you.
We've got you covered, with Falcon Fraud Manager!
Falcon is fraud prevention software from SHAZAM, our debit card provider, that helps identify and reduce fraud risk by detecting potentially fraudulent PIN-based and signature-based debit transactions. It has a proven reputation of helping minimize payment card fraud losses.
How does Falcon work?
Falcon reviews how and where your card is being used and scores transactions based on transaction data and cardholder profile factors. Each transaction is given a score from one to 999, and the higher the score, the greater the likelihood that the transaction is fraudulent.
What happens if Falcon detects fraudulent activity on my debit card?
SHAZAM Fraud Specialist will call you if any suspicious activity is detected on your account. They will identify themselves as SHAZAM, calling on behalf of Northwest Bank. If they are unable to reach you, they will leave a message with their contact information.
Falcon Fraud Manager maintains a 24/7 watch on your account. On high risk activity scenarios they will suspend activity immediately on your debit card until they can talk to you to determine if the risk is fraudulent activity or not. This process has saved our customers thousands of dollars in potential loss.
What information will I be asked for?
SHAZAM will ask you to verify your address. Once your address has been verified, they will then ask you to confirm your purchase activity. SHAZAM will never ask for your personal information, such as the last four digits of your Social Security number, security codes, etc. SHAZAM will only ask for verification of your address.
What if my debit card is declined at a merchant location?
One of the reasons may be that it was flagged as highly likely to be fraud, based on the way you typically use your card. If your transaction is declined for that reason, you will receive a phone call from a SHAZAM Fraud Specialist to verify the transaction. If it was a legitimate transaction, the details will be made part of your card profile so that these types of transactions have a greater chance of being approved in the future.
Tips for preventing card fraud on your account...
- Memorize your PIN. Don ‘t write it on your card or anything you carry near your card.
- Don’t tell anyone your PIN or account number.
- Don’t loan anyone your card.
- Report lost or stolen cards immediately. You may be liable for activity on your card if you do not report it as lost or stolen.
- NEVER give your PIN over the phone, especially cellular phones.
- NEVER respond to a link or phone number in an e-mail message requesting personal information. Phishers often use this scam to trick you into divulging personal data